The events of the past several months forced us to see our homes in a different light. We have reclaimed spaces that were “look but don’t touch.” And created cozy/inviting interiors instead. Now, our rooms have a function, and the way we live in our surroundings is purposeful/intentional.
Entertaining at home is on the rise, and it will continue to do so. We are on the hunt to get the most out of our spaces. But more often than not, our back porches/outdoor areas are underutilized for one reason or another.
Do you have a back porch that’s not living up to its potential? And you’re not sure how to make it work? Are you short on cash/creativity? If you answered yes, this post is for you. Read on to see how we transformed this area into a magical space for the holidays.
Seven Steps to Transform Your Porch
- Define the space/Dinner Party
This space was underutilized, and its sole purpose, a thoroughfare to the outside. Even though the room was uninviting, it had a few positives. The room was enclosed, a decent size, and it had potential.
2. Take inventory/decide what stays and what goes. The only items that remained were the table and the bench.
3. Get inspired! Since our space was for an intimate gathering/dinner party, we focused on the tabletop. We used the homeowner’s beloved black, white, and gold china as our inspiration.
4. Shop the house With our inspiration piece in mind, we shopped the house further to unearth other items that would work with the theme.
5. Decide on a Budget, and stick to it. Doing so will keep you on track and eliminate unnecessary spending.
6. Go shopping, We were in luck. We only needed a few items to complete the project. We purchased fairy lights, white sheers, wrapping paper, a gift bag, and a picture frame. That’s it!
7. Make it happen To create a magical look and feel, We used fairy lights and white sheers. This step took the most time. But it was worth it in the end. We used 3m hooks and monofilament for the installation.
To give the bench a new look, we reupholstered it with a statement fabric in the color grey. Then we added a luxurious fur throw and white lanterns to add another layer of dreaminess.
The Asian-inspired chest worked perfectly in the space. It added height and balance to the layout. Plus, it was a great way to house extra blankets and other items needed during the party.
The use of wood, glass, metal, and fire makes a stunning display!
To hide the bulky outlet, we wrapped empty boxes in keeping with the color scheme. For a quick DIY project, we purchased the sparkle all the way gift bag and black picture frame from Dollar Tree. We framed the gift bag and placed it on the wrapped boxes. Who knew that a $2 DIY project could make such a statement?
Now, it was time to address the tabletop. The goal was to create a simple but elegant look. To do so, we used the same fabric from the bench to create a stunning tablecloth.
To create the centerpiece, we used a 16″ grapevine wreath. First, we covered the wreath with greenery. Then, we added florals in cream, white, and silver. Next, we placed glass candlesticks and Christmas ornaments inside the wreath to complete the look. You like?
We added candles and tealights to make the table glow.
Last but not least, we added our inspiration for the entire project, the homeowner’s beloved china.
So, what do you think about our magical holiday makeover? The homeowners loved it, and we do too!
By the way, next week I will continue with my cozy kitchen makeover.
One thought on “How to Create A Magical Outdoor Space for the Holidays”